Month: January 2020
Keeping your car clean throughout the seasons is essential. It’s not just an aesthetic choice, although there’s nothing wrong with enjoying the look of a spotless car. Cold weather is tough on cars, and frequent washes can help keep your car cared for and happy. Increasing your trips to the car wash during wintertime can help make sure your vehicle stays in tip-top shape, no matter what the weather is like.
Tips for Keeping a Clean Car in Winter
The cold affects the way your car runs. Salt and snow on roads can cause your frame to rust, and scraping off snow or ice often results in scratches in the paint. Keeping a clean car during the winter can help it last longer or retain its resale value. Check out these tips for maintaining your vehicle this season.
- Wash off the salt – We can’t stress this one enough. Take your car to a local car wash to keep it spotless. All that salt and snow causes damage to your frame, suspension, undercarriage, and paint job. Flagstop Car Wash uses the best products to wash away all the calcium chloride in road salt so that it doesn’t build up on your vehicle.
- Don’t tailgate – A good rule on the road on any day. In the winter, keep a large following distance to prevent the cars in front of you from kicking extra dust, dirt, snow, salt, and whatever else is in the streets into your car’s exterior.
- Use rubber mats inside – Your vehicles might get water damage if you don’t take care to keep excess water out. Get some rubber mats to keep things dry.
- Get it waxed – It’s recommended to use high-quality car wax or polymer sealant every three to four months. The extra coating will help keep dirt, dust, and grime off your car.
- Wipe your windshield – Use a towel and cleaning products to hand-clean your windshield and windows a few times a month. This will keep grime from building up and inhibiting your visibility.
- Protect your wheels – Salt and dirt can cake onto your wheels and mess with the mechanics. There are protective waxes and sprays available for wheels, so check with your local car wash and see what options they have.
- Use heavy towels – Place these under the rubber mats to help absorb any excess muddy water, slush, and dirt. You can throw these in the washer every few weeks to keep things clean. Slush on the floor of the car can cause unnoticed rust and damage that’s expensive to fix.
- Invest in mud flaps – These deflect road debris from the fender walls, keeping your car protected from the elements.
- Inspect your car regularly – Do a check at least once a week to make sure there’s no rust on your frame. If you catch it early, you can have it taken care of before the problem gets worse.
- Park indoors – This is not a possibility for everyone, but if you live in an area where there are regular snowstorms, you may want to consider investing in an indoor parking spot. Keeping your car away from the elements will keep it clean and running smoothly.
Find a Car Wash Near You
If you’re looking for a local car wash that you can trust to keep your vehicle in shape, visit Flagstop Car Wash. With eleven locations throughout Richmond, Chesterfield, and the tri-cities area, you always have a dependable car wash near you. At Flagstop, we take pride in our work and make sure each and every vehicle gets the best treatment possible.